The Canning Agricultural, Horticultural and Recreational Society Inc. Founded 1894 Established 1909
The Society is a voluntary, non profit organisation which relies upon the involvement of its members to conduct its programme of activities.
“To promote participate in and encourage public participation in all forms of sport and racing recreation and cultural affairs including arts crafts, music and theatre, vocational courses, lectures and conferences, exhibitions and demonstrations, by use of buildings and premises under the care and control of the Society.”
Around the year 1894, a group of pioneers from the community of Cannington, conducted horticultural shows at the local primary school. Cannington was then recognised as the focal point for the surrounding rural settlement and was the chosen site for an Agricultural Hall to be built at the corner of the Albany Road and Station Street. In its endeavour to encourage the formation of agricultural societies within rural communities, the State Government granted funds for the hall which was built on one half acre made available by the Canning Road Board. The Hall was opened for use in 1896 and became the home of social activity and meetings for persons interested in local agriculture. A body to be known as the Canning Agricultural and Horticultural Society was formed to be affiliated with the Royal Agricultural Society of WA and incorporated in the year 1909. From this time on, annual Agricultural Shows have been held at this site, other than during war periods.
From the date of its formation to the present time, the Society has acquired adjoining parcels of land bordered by the Albany Highway, Station Street, Grey Street and Liege Street comprising 12.9736 hectares, together with an area of Crown Reserve vested in the Society. This land is located within the City of Canning Regional Centre. It is strategically positioned with a substantial frontage to the Albany Highway, close to public transport of bus and rail and adjoins the commercial complex of Westfield Carousel.
Of its total holdings, the Society actually occupies 0.5790 hectares, on which it has built several halls and administration office. These buildings comprise 943m² Exhibition Hall, 639m² (1984) Liddelow Hall and office (2001) and 363m² Vickery pavilion (1998).
These community facilities are known as the Cannington Exhibition Centre. The halls are available for hire for functions, trade shows and community events. The buildings are air conditioned with modern facilities.
These halls can be booked up to two years in advance.
Hire charges for hall use.
Charges vary depending on the activities
Category 1 e.g. non profit activities i.e. exhibitions 30% discount
Category 2 e.g. Conduct of events charging fees 15% discount
Category 3 e.g. Social events full charge
Affiliated bodies under Category 2 are granted an additional 15% discount.
The levy of charges is assessed on operating costs and are usually below hire charges by other bodies.
For a copy of our Constitution – CLICK HERE
Membership of the Society is open to any person who is a member of and associated with the recreational or community activities which are conducted on the premises of the Society. For more information on Membership, click HERE
The activities performed on the property of the Society are wide and varied. The halls and pavilions are in daily use for conferences, meetings, exhibitions, fairs and trade shows – You can see details for what’s going on around the grounds at our Events Calendar. The Society also hold regular special events as part of the Act-Belong-Commit program thanks to Healthway. It is Healthway’s mission to ‘enhance the mental health and wellbeing of Western Australians by strengthening individual resilience and building community cohesion’. The Society is proud to be a part of this mission, and provides regular meeting special interest groups which include Theatre, Choir, Craft, Knitting and Gardening. The program also includes an annual day out for members, artistic workshops & demonstrations and the Society’s Showtime Talent Quest.
Greyhound Racing Venue
During the early 1970’s the State Government passed legislation to permit greyhound racing. The Society saw the opportunity to develop portion of its holding to construct a greyhound racing venue. It was instrumental in forming an Association to apply for a licence, which was granted in 1973. The Society constructed the buildings and track which exist today at a cost of $2 million, leasing the premises to the Canning Greyhound Racing Association, which later became WA Greyhound Racing Association (WAGRA).
The lease expired in 2011, when a Memorandum of Understanding was signed, allowing a two year extension. WAGRA and the Society are currently negotiating the relocation of the greyhound racing complex to the vacant rear part of the site allowing WAGRA to build a ‘state of the art’ premises.
The Canning Show is the signature event in the Society calendar. Held in the first weekend of November, it attracts around 10,000 people from Cannington and the Southeast metropolitan region. The Show is the main event in the region for presenting the fruits of a year’s hard work – as well as a time to rejoice and have fun.
Within the Show there are four main elements of participation:
Entertainment- stages shows and a huge fireworks display
Competition – art, cooking, photography, industrial arts, youth sections, craft, horticulture, home and dairy produce and equestrian sections.
Education – displays and demonstrations as shown at https://studentshare.net/papers website.
Commercial – suitable for small and emerging businesses and traders.
The Show attracts about 2,500 exhibition entries each year ranging from fruits & veges, flowers, baked goods, home cooking, art, photography and Performance Art Installations for emerging artists.